Collection Website. http://www.thisisborn.co.uk/
Beginning each design journey with hand-rendered illustrations and drawings, my work primarily explores the balance between the reveal and conceal of the body, focussing on the construction of personal identities through the layering of texture and print.
The Capsule Collection 'The Original Parchment' primarily explores a deep fascination towards bodily adornments across different cultures and communities. Inspired by the way in which the body acts as a personal canvas, sources of influence for the collection derived from the exploration into tattooing, branding and bruising of the skin drawing on both a graphic and textural aesthetic. Introducing the use of Laser cutting adds new texture working to develop the range into much more of a textural look, drawing out a 3D illustrative quality back onto the body.
Engaging with my global responsibilities as a designer is integral to the basis of my work, manifested through the use of reclaimed, organic and Fair Trade materials wherever possible, always working towards the creation of socially and ecologically ethical pieces. Whilst consistently posing challenges in the sourcing and experimentation processes, these boundaries work to push my developmental process further into finding a newness in the creation of artwork onto the body.
By combining commercial awareness and conceptual aesthetic, my work reflects a desire to see products which challenge the conventions of consumerist fashion. This Capsule Collection aims to offer a sustainable and wearable product range founded on a love for print, colour and texture.
- BA Hons Fashion Design and Development, London College of Fashion, 1st Class Honours.
- Diploma in foundation Studies (Art and Design)- City of Bath College, Distinction.
- Design Assistant at Miss Selfridge, Arcadia, paid position, July 2010- September 2011
- Womenswear and Accessories Intern, J W Anderson, August- October 2009
- Assistant to Art Director Petra Storrs, July-August 2009
- Selected to show products and film at LCF Graduate Press Exhibition 2012. http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/2012/
- Finalist for Cutler and Gross 0734 Project 2012.
- Work chosen to be presented to the British Fashion Council through 'College Graduates Preview Day 2012'. Editorial shoot, Paper Print and Film.
- Fashioning the Future Nurse, 2009 Selected as one of three finalists. Design brief set to challenge to traditional nursing uniform for the 21st century nurse at Florence Nightingale School of Nursing.
- Volcom Europe, Design Seed. 2009- Winner of Best Photography prize at Volcom Seed competition 2009, in collaboration with London College of Fashion. Brief set to reinvent their denim line and reach a new target customer.
Adobe Creative Suite; Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
Print design for digital and screen
Flat womenswear pattern cutting
Industrial garment construction
Sketching and illustration (Hand Rendered and multi-media)
Technical Specification Drawing (CAD)
Marketing, Branding and Consumer knowledge
Copyright © Lydia Freeborn 2012